How To Travel To Australia With New Covid SOPs
Those who frequently travel to Australia looked on enviously when the continent down under opened its borders to Singaporeans in November 2021, and to South Koreans and the Japanese in December the same year. Well, be envious no more! As of 21 February 2022, Australia is opening its international borders to all countries around the world! Of course, since we’re still living in a pandemic/endemic, strict restrictions to curb the spread of Covid-19 still applies. The rules can get kind of confusing, so allow us to break it down for you in point form below.
Guide On Travel To Australia During The Pandemic/Endemic
Following quarantine-free travel arrangements with Singapore, and the Working Holiday Makers program for travellers from Japan and South Korea, Australia is now ready to welcome back travellers from everywhere else! Before you book that flight to Sydney or Melbourne, though, you might want to check what the restrictions for travel to Australia are.
1) Australia is reopening its borders for fully vaccinated visa holders, tourists, business travellers, and other visitors around the world from 21 February 2022.
2) Visa holders who are not fully vaccinated will still require a valid travel exemption to enter Australia, and will be subject to state and territory quarantine requirements.
3) From 21 February 2022, visa holders who are fully vaccinated with two doses of a Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) approved COVID-19 vaccine can travel to Australia quarantine-free, without the need to apply for a travel exemption.
4) Vaccines approved for use in Australia and travel to Australia include:
- Comirnaty (Pfizer)
- Vaxzevria (AstraZeneca)
- Spikevax or Takeda (Moderna)
- COVID-19 Vaccine Janssen (Janssen)
- Nuvaxovid (Biocelect on behalf of Novavax)
- Coronavac (Sinovac)
- Covishield (AstraZeneca – Serum Institute of India)
- Covaxin (Bharat Biotech)
- Sputnik V (Gamaleya Research Institute)
- BBIBP-CorV for people under 60 years of age on arrival in Australia (Sinopharm China)
5) To be eligible to enter Australia, international travellers must:
- hold a valid Australian visa.
- be fully vaccinated with two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Australia’s Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) and provide proof of vaccination status.
- Present a negative rapid antigen test (RAT) taken within 24 hours, or Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) Covid-19 test taken within 72 hours, of departure (unless a medical exemption applies).
6) As of 7 February 2022, fully vaccinated visa holders can enter all states and territories quarantine-free from 21 February 2022, except for Western Australia.
7) Travellers will need to comply with requirements in the state or territory of their arrival, and any other state or territories that they plan to travel to. Information on entry requirements is updated regularly so it is important to check the latest requirements before travelling.
8) Travellers are also encouraged to check any requirements for stopover destinations that they are transitioning through.
Travel Partners In Malaysia Working With Tourism Australia
If you’re already planning your Australian trip but are unsure of where to start, do look up these Tourism Australia partners. You might just be inspired!
Travel partners offering promotions for travel to Australia include:-
- Apple Vacations
- Corporate Information Travel
- Forever Travel
- Holiday Tours & Travel
- Sedunia Travel
- Malaysian Airlines
As they say in Malaysia, “Sediakan duit je!” Well, whether you’re heading off to the land of Oz very, very soon or looking to travel there in the next year or so, you can always start planning your ultimate Australia trip now!
Alea began her career as a Corporate Communications Executive before becoming a full-time content writer. Her recent projects include crafting articles for Convergence e-magazine by Malaysia Airports and Tropicana Magazine. She loves exploring various cultures around the world and be inspired by the beauty of nature. At Gadabout, Alea’s main goal is to make the readers’ days better through fun and interesting articles on travel and lifestyle.